Wednesday, November 14, 2007

SOMETHING NEW...

Once again, some miscelanious, non-sequential inked panels from CHARLATAN BALL #4...




The page up top I had done after taking a bit of a breather--up until that point I had felt I was just steamrolling through inking both issues #3 and #4, as well as simultaneously penciling issue #5. I felt it was important to step away for a day, grab a new brush and slow down. Comic books by design are disposable entertainment at best, so one theory is to barrel through an issue as fast as possible; that it's a showcase of the overall collection--and not a spotlight on individual pages or panels. That being said; however, as a fan I myself like to take a moment to linger over an artist's brushstroke or genius composition. I'm not saying I achieved either here, but the above was one page I actually appreciate slightly more than the rest. I hope you like as well.

As evidence, I didn't carry this formula all the way through every page of the issue(s), rather picked and chose my battles. Sort of like we do when character designing an episode in animation: in order to hit (your) quota and deadline each week, the smartest, most ideal scenerio is to alternate between 4 or 5 simple, one-character designs, accompanied by a hideous crowd scene. Genndy actually had us doing that during STAR WARS: CLONE WARS, while frantically combining character design into actual character layout--and still hit our shipping dates. Sorry for the headaches Shareena! hahaha



1 comment:

T' said...

I absolutely adore your inks.