Thursday, November 04, 2010

"GALACTUS ATE MY HOMEWORK"

Some of you are aware I've been teaching an Intro to Character Design in Animation class to second year students at CalArts. The hardest part about teaching is having never verbalized what I do before. There has definitely been some mumbling and trailing off involved...

I thought this was a fun assignment I gave. For those of you not in my class, feel free to give it a try!
Below is the incredible Tom Fowler's minimalist TWART piece successfully breaking down the FF into their most simplest forms.
...and here's the lesson I gave them life drawing with sticks...and then beating them with them. Kidding, of course. There was no life drawing...

4 comments:

Morgan said...

Haha, kind of a coincidence you made this post the day after I showed your artbook to my 2D Character Design professor! He really loved your work, btw!
I'm bringing in the Plas' pilot next week to show the class. To not only show examples of great exaggerated expressions and shapes, but to also spread Plastic Man Awareness.

Neat idea for an assignment! You ever hear of Project Rooftop? They have a lot of nice postings for redesigned superheroes.

wolfboy said...

Wow; thank you on all fronts, Morgan. I have not heard of Project Rooftop. I will definitely look it up.

Good luck in class!

Brian Winkeler said...

My KNUCKLEHEADS collaborator Robert Wilson IV has had some stuff in Project Rooftop (Captain America & Black Canary of the top of my head). It's a really fun site with some really great (mostly unknown) talent doing cool stuff.

k.mediani said...

Wow, life drawing with sticks is very cool! Need to try that..